Border Crossing at Bukit Kayu Hitam to Thailand

Documents that you need to drive to Thailand.

1) Original Registration Card ( This is the official requirement, I have seen some using photocopy as well )

2) If you are not the car owner, get the authorisation letter from the car owner.

3) Insurance ( Please read the Insurance section for more information )

Before you cross the border, you need to purchase Thai insurance to cover the 3rd party in Thailand.

There are 2 insurance here. The first one is the Insurance that you purchase at the border. That  insurance cover 3rd party in Thailand but not your own vehicle. The insurance cost about RM15 for about a week coverage. This is compulsory.

In order to cover your own vehicle, you need to purchase from your local insurance company to cover your stay at Thailand.

However, this is optional if you do not think it is necessary.

The most convenient way is to purchase an extension from your existing insurance company.

For Kurnia Insurance, the insurance premium is 20% of the 1st party insurance that you pay in Malaysia for 30 days coverage. For example, if your car 1st party premium is RM1,000.00, then you need to pay additional RM200.oo for 30days coverage in Thailand. You need to inform the insurance company before you go and when you return. Multiple entry is permitted.

For MSIG insurance, coverage for less then a week is 20% of your existing premium x 1/8. Less then 1 month is 20% of your existing premium x 1/4.  That means if your premium is RM1,000.00, the coverage for less then 1 week is RM25.00, less then 1 month is RMRM50.00

Please call your insurance company to find out more.

You can purchase the Thai insurance at any agency at Changlun town, usually those restaurant cum rest area along the highway after Changlun town offer this services.  You can have the agent to fill up the Thai arrival card/white card at RM1 each. There are a few restaurant / rest area besides the highway after Changlun town toward Bukit Kayu Hitam like the photo below.

This is the insurance document that you will get from the agent.

After you get your Thai Arrival Card/White Card and Insurance done, proceed to Bukit Kayu Hitam Check Point.

Passing through the Malaysia custom is very simple, just drive to the available counter and hand over your passport ( Passenger does not need to get down from car ). Once its done, we proceed to Thailand border where we need to park our car at the parking area and everyone must get down from the car and proceed to the immigration office. Once the passport is stamped, the car owner must proceed to custom counter in the middle of the drive through lane to obtain a car entry permit.

All you need to do is hand over the passport and the car registration card to the officer and he/she will print out a copy of the car entry permit to you.

You must proceed to the next counter in front of you to hand in the car entry permit to another officer ( The officer will ask you to sign on the car entry permit ), once you hand over the car entry permit to the officer, you can now proceed back to your car and drive through the custom, as you pass the custom, the officer will return the car entry form that you submited early on, please have a quick check to make sure that you collect the correct car entry permit.

Please keep the car import permit safely as you need to return to copy to the custom when you return to Malaysia.  Please take note that you can exit in any other checkpoint.

Update : 23/3/2016

The car park beside the Thai custom close for construction, you need to park at Duty free shop now.
New procedure including a passenger listing for each car. The insurance agent at border will prepare it together. The car owner need to submit the passenger ( 2 copies – enter and exit ) at the immigration counter during the passport stamp. The officer will keep the enter copy and return the exit copy to you. Please keep the exit copy safe as you need to return it when you exit Thailand.

All done and Sawadee Khrap, welcome to Thailand.

On return, if the traffic is less, you may park your car at the counter area and return the car import permit at the custom counter, you are required to sign a log book. Please take note that you car must park in front of the custom counter when you return the document.

If the traffic is heavy, then I will suggest your go straight to the custom counter ( In the middle of the driving lane ), return the car import permit, and park you car at the car park.  Then only you proceed to the immigration counter to stamp your passport. After that back to the car park and drive straight back to Malaysia.

Update : 12th August 2013
Update : 23/3/2016

New custom office on the left of old custom office. Passenger no longer need to get down from car, just like Malaysia. Drive to immigration for passport done and next counter returning the import permit and the passenger list.

Thanks to Mr. Hang from Penang for sharing a step by step picture on border crossing procedure at Padang Besar.

Thailand Custom Map

Back to Malaysia is a simple process by hand over the passport to the immigration counter, all passenger remain in car. The custom check point is right after the immigration. Do as what the customer officer told and answer politely.

Category: Border Crossing  Tags:
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.
73 Responses
  1. LeeZ says:

    Hi guys,

    I am planning on another trip to Hatyai again this Dec, driving of course. I checked with my insurance co. for my vehicle a week’s coverage extension to Thailand will only cost me ard rm28!!! Plus the Third Party Thai Insurance Coverage.

    I will also go through Padang Besar, to avoid the school holiday traffic at BKH.

  2. Yi Jin says:


    The informations above is indeed really useful.

    I would like driving to Thailand on this coming Saturday.

    However, I would like to know if I’m driving with company car, do I need to get the authorisation letter from my company? Otherwise, is there any extra steps to be noted?

    Thank you very much.

  3. admin says:

    Yes.. you will need the authorisation letter. but if the border officer not conduct a check you may just escape it.

    to be safe.. just prepare an authorisation letter using the company letter head or any supporting document that you think necessary. the best advice is from your company secretary.

  4. andrew says:


    I would like to drive to Thailand by end of this month.

    Do I need to apply the car entry permit earlier? Or can I do it at any agencies before cross the border?

    For my own car insurance cover, how many days before should I apply from existing local insurance company?

    Thank you very much.

  5. admin says:

    Hi Andrew,

    The import permit can only apply at the Thailand custom on the spot.

    The local insurance you can purchase anytime before your departure, usually you need to let the insurance company know when and how long you will be at Thailand.

  6. samuel says:


    i just bough a new car…and i planning to drive it to hat yai…as for information…the bank only issue me the photocopy of car reg card….can i use only the photocopy of car reg card to enter hat yai???

  7. admin says:

    The official requirement is original where some have no problem request from bank.

    I have seen someone using photocopy without any problem.

    the best i can think of if you cannot get the original copy is at least a certify true copy.

  8. LeeZ says:


    While I was queing up at the Thai custom to get my vehicle import permit, there was a guy in front of me who only had a copy of his grant (not the original) and he told me he did not purchase any insurance at all!!!

    And he and his family managed to drive through to Thailand after getting his import permit.

    This happened at the Padang Besar immigration. Maybe they were a bit lenient that day???!!! Hmmm…. #Dumbfounded

  9. Vickie says:

    we plan to drive from Hatyai to Phuket, please kindly provide the route as this is our first time driving to Phuket

  10. admin says:

    Hi Vickie,

    You may refer to the following link

    Enjoy your trip

  11. Alex says:


    One question, Where does my passenger wait for me after stamping the passport and where do I pick them up? Can they walk back to the car together with me after stamping their passport?


  12. admin says:

    If you are entering Thailand at Bukit Kayu Hitam, you are not allowed to drive through.. you need to park your car at the car park provided beside Thai customer, stamp your passport then drive your car through custom with the car entry permit.

    Please refer to

  13. admin says:

    May be, but would you want to take the risk ?

    It just a small amount to pay to transfer the risk to insurance company.

  14. Ken De Alwis says:

    Vickie, you can actually use WAZE gps as I always used it when I drive to Bangkok haha. Cheers

  15. nora says:

    will there be any problem if the car is on ‘hire & drive permit’ – not register as personal car i.e i rent the car.

  16. KD says:

    I am Indian passport holder living in KL as expatriate. I want to drive my car (Malaysia bought) to Thailand and possibly to Cambodia and return again to Kuala Lumpur.
    Are the rules and processes different than that you mentioned above? Will appreciate your guidance.

  17. admin says:

    Hi Nora, I don’t think you will able to get the car registration document to apply for the import permit if it is from the car rental company.


  18. admin says:

    Hi KD,

    For the car register in Malaysia, then the procedure will be the same. ( For car driving to Thailand )

    But I am not too sure about the visa requirement for Indian national.

    Best to check with


  19. TIMzai says:

    Hi Admin, Thank for ur information.
    How about Malaysian ride a motorbike to enter Thailand??
    Is that all the documents needed are same with car??
    How about the insurance charge for motorbike??
    Thank You

  20. admin says:


    I have not tried riding a bike but I believe the procedure is similar like driving a passenger car.

    Rightfully the insurance for bike will be cheaper as compare to car.


  21. Alex says:

    Hi Kent,

    Do you know if I am driving my mum’s car with my mum as passenger, do I need to photostat my ic or my mum’s ic together with the authorisation letter to apply for the carnet?

    I am not too sure about the insurance that cover my car during our stay in Thailand, can I bought this separately too at the border?

    Thanks for your help.

  22. abi alif says:

    Hye there,

    If i wanna go to Phuket , which one better- wang kelian,bukit kayu hitam or padang besar?

    Does the signboard in thailand can lead us to phuket (easy to understand)?

  23. admin says:

    Wang kelian road will be smaller and along the coastal and bypass Trang.

    Bukit Kayu Hitam and Padang besar lead the same way via Hatyai and Trang.

    Sign board is quite clear in Thailand.